Dr Joshua Raj is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon and an ordained minister. He became a Christian in medical school when the complexity of the human body revealed God’s beautiful design. His Christian journey has included opportunities to minister in Indian churches of different denominations in many countries. Dr Raj is a graduate of Seminary Theology Malaysia and has a postgraduate degree in practical theology. He has a wife and three children.View all articles by Dr Joshua Raj
A Biblical Approach to Indian Traditions and Beliefs fills a need for Indian Christians who are searching for guidance when confronted with beliefs, traditions, rituals and practices in the non-Christian Indian community. This book:
*Reveals the truth about Christian living.
*Discusses certain Indian spiritual and religious practices.
*Gives advice on the daily struggles of believers.
Written from the agape (love) perspective, this resource is helpful for the new convert to Christianity, the generational Christian who may need to adjust his life, and leaders who seek some form of consistency in approaching the Indian Diaspora.
1. Indian Culture Encounters the Christian Message
2. Discernment — Testing the Spirit
3. Evaluating Indian Beliefs and Traditions
4. The Christian Mindset — Choosing Others Over Self
5. Hindu Beliefs and World View — Historical Development
6. Hindu Beliefs and World View — The Nature of Things
7. Hindu Beliefs and World View — Writings and Social Systems
8. The Spirit World — Spirits and Demons
9. The Spirit World — Everyday Issues of Life
10. Indian Festival Days and Their Religious Worship
11. Marriage Traditions and Beliefs
12. Death and Funeral Rites
13. Auspicious Days and Ceremonies
14. Everyday Issues — Idols, Images and Religious Symbols
15. Everyday Issues — Marks, Dress and Dance
16. New Age aka “Hindu Lite”
18. Transcendental Meditation (TM)
19. Traditional Medicine — Ayurveda
20. Other Indian Religions
21. Brief Answers to Common Questions
A Biblical Approach to Indian Traditions and Beliefs will be available from May 2008.
Praise for A Biblical Approach to Indian Traditions and Beliefs
“This book addresses a very important area in the lives of most Indian Christians. The author’s deep commitment to biblical teaching and a perspective that aims at approaching issues with ‘agape’ love are particularly helpful.”
- Bishop Dr Robert Solomon
- Bishop, The Methodist Church in Singapore
“Dr J R Raj has produced a fascinating overview of the Indian beliefs and its traditions…This informative and instructive book will prove valuable to students of theology, pastors and lay readers.”
- Rev Dr Solomon Rajah
- Lecturer in Pastoral Theology and World Religions
- Director of Institute of World Religions
- Seminari Theoloji Malaysia, Seremban, Malaysia
HOW TO ORDER
A Biblical Approach to Indian Traditions and Beliefs retails at S$18.00 for paperback. You may order via email or the attached ORDER FORM. Please email me at email@example.com or call 65-6276-9976 [Ext 212] for bulk purchase and enquiries.
ARMOUR PUBLISHING PTE LTD
“Books with A Purpose”
203A Henderson Road
#11-06 Henderson Industrial Park
(65) 6276-9976 (Tel)
(65) 6276-7564 (Fax)
ABOUT ARMOUR PUBLISHING
ARMOUR Publishing is a leading Christian publisher committed to publishing books with a purpose - through compelling, creative, and enduring Christian and Christ-centred media and services. Established in 1991, we focus on book publishing and content development. Besides publishing our own range of book titles, we also extend our publishing services to a broad client base, including churches, Christian organisations, private and government organisations.