David - A Man After God's Own Heart
View all articles by My Testimony
"I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will." Samuel 13:13-14.What an awesome thing it is to be referred to as the beloved of God.
This reference of God concerning David has always fascinated me. I draw personal inspiration from this account and want to fashion my life accordingly. It is my desire that as you peruse this article, that you would be inspired. But before we study the attributes of King David, it would be important to know who David really was.
King David of Israel was known for his diverse skills both as a warrior and as a writer of psalms. In his 40 years as ruler, between approximately 1010 and 970 B.C., he united the people of Israel, led them to victory in battle, conquered land and paved the way for his son, Solomon, to build the Holy Temple. He was the eighth and youngest son of Jesse from the kingly tribe of Judah. He was also a direct descendent of Ruth the Moabite. David began his life as a shepherd in Bethlehem. One day, the prophet Samuel called him out of the field and anointed him without the knowledge of the current king, Saul. David returned to his sheep and waited for the appointed time when he would be enthroned. He is most famous for killing Goliath nine foot giant with a single stone when he was just a teenager.
So what were some of the attributes of David that set him apart from the rest of the people?
DAVID LOVED THE WORD OF GOD
Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long. - Psa 119:97
1. In this psalm, David expresses his sentiment found elsewhere, we find one who has a great love for God's Word - Psa 119:47-48
2. This love for God's Word is due to the fact that...
a. It protects him from sin - Psa 119:11
b. It revives him in affliction - Psa 119:50
c. It gives him great peace of mind - Psa 119:165
DAVID LOVED TO PRAY
A. "I WILL CALL UPON HIM AS LONG AS I LIVE" - Psa 116:1-2
1. His love for prayer was based upon the fact God had answered his prayers before - Psa 116:1-2
2. It was based upon the fact that God had greatly blessed him - Psa 116:12-13
3. It was based upon the fact that prayer brought God close to him - Psa 145:18
DAVID LOVED TO PRAISE GOD.
"SEVEN TIMES A DAY I PRAISE YOU" - Psa 119:164
1. He praised God because of His righteous judgments
2. He praised God because of His greatness and loving kindness - Psa 95:1-7
3. And he was determined to sing praises as long as he lived - Psa 104:33
DAVID LOVED UNITY AMONG BRETHREN
"BEHOLD, HOW GOOD AND HOW PLEASANT IT IS..." - Psa 133:1
1. David knew the value of good friendship and unity, as exemplified in the relationship he had with Jonathan - 1 Sam 18:1
2. He also knew the terrible pain of division within a family (cf. his sons, Amnon and Absalom - 2 Sam 13)
DAVID HATED EVERY FALSE WAY
"I HATE EVERY FALSE WAY" - Psa 119:104
1. His hatred was based upon his understanding of God's precepts Psa 119:104
2. His hatred affected his selection of activities and friends Psa 101:3-4,6-7
DAVID ENJOYED CLOSE INTIMACY WITH GOD.
This in my opinion is the most important attribute that made David a man after God's own heart. David clearly
enjoyed close intimacy with God. He spent hours in prayer in personal communication with God. 1 Sam 13:14 But now your kingdom will not endure; the LORD has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him leader of his people, because you have not kept the Lord's command." (NIV)
After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: `I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart; he will do everything I want him to do.' (NIV)
In closing, we note that like David we too can find a special place in God's Heart. David was not perfect. Like all of us he fell again and again. Yet every time He fell, his response was immediate repentance. This act restored his relationship with God. God knows our short-comings. That is why He sent His Son Jesus. He has paid the price for all of us for all times. Once born again all we have to do is to learn to enjoy the very Real Presence of God in Prayer, in the Word and in Fellowship. I am confident that since God is no respecter of persons, He will make us people after His own Heart too as we learn to spend time with Him.