Time Magazine and the Bible
- By Wilson Matthews
- Published 02/10/2005
Wilson is the youth leader at International Punjabi Masihi Church in Vancouver, Canada. Everyone loves this radical preacher's passion for Christ and His Church. Wilson helped organize the South Asian Global Convention (SAGC 2004) under the leadership of Pastor Pritam Singh. He is as "hairy-as-a-yak," "spits-like-a-camel," and is a F.A.T. (Faithful, Available, and Teachable) Christian. Wilson, a Malayalee Christian holds a BA in Biblical Studies from Trinity Western University and his mission is to make Scripture relevant to today's generation. Famous quote: "Knock it off!"
I just read an issue in Time Magazine about "The Science of Happiness." It gave eight steps toward a more satisfying life. What isn't obvious at first glance is that these steps which researchers have found are based on biblical principles. Check them out for yourself...
1. Count your blessings - "...Give thanks in all circumstances." (1 Thessalonians 4:18)
Giving thanks helps us see our blessings when we often can't make them out.
2. Practice Acts of Kindness - "... Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.' Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' And the King will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.' (Matthew 25:34-40)
3. Savor Life's Joys - "Rejoice always." (1 Thessalonian 4:16)
4. Thank a Mentor - "...greet all those who rule over you..." (Hebrews 13:24)
5. Learn to Forgive - "And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors." (Matthew 6:12)
6. Invest Time and Energy in Friends and Family - " Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come back, And tomorrow I will give it," When you have it with you" (Proverbs 3:27-28)
7. Take Care of Your Body - " He who has a slack hand becomes poor, But the hand of the diligent makes rich." (Proverbs 10:4)
8. Develop Strategies for Coping with Stress and Hardships. "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. (James 1:2-4)
Trials produce patience in a believer. I heard a preacher once say that patience is what can get you through any trial. God promises to deliver and all we need to do is be patient and wait for it to come in it's timing. The Time Mag also mentioned how religious faith help people cope. Very interesting...
Hope this has been enlightening...