Say It . . . But Show It!
- By Samuel Thambusamy
- Published 05/21/2009
Samuel Thambusamy’s interests are in Popular Culture, Theology and Politics. He has a Master of Theology (M.Th) degree from the Senate of Serampore University. He has served in a wide range of ministries such as children, youth, church and development ministries. He is now involved with Wisdomtree and reaches out to young people through cultural apologetics. He lives with his wife Lanusenla and daughter Vandana Yujasola in Chennai, India
One of them was an expert in the Jewish Law. So he tried to test Jesus by asking, “Teacher, what is the most important commandment in the Law?” Jesus answered: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. This is the first and most important commandment. The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is, “Love others as much as you love yourself.” All the Law of Moses and the Books of the Prophets are based on these two commandments. (Mat 22:35-40 CEV)
Questions for Reflection
1. What is this passage about?
2. The word ‘Love’ has been used, abused and confused in contemporary world. What does it mean to love God?
3. How do you understand
a. Loving God with all your heart
b. Loving God with all your soul
c. Loving God with all your mind
d. Loving God with all your strength
4. The Lawyer has asked for the most important commandment. Jesus gave him two commandments instead of one. Why do you think Jesus gave him another one?
5. How do you think “Loving God” connects with “Loving others”?
6. Did Jesus instruct us not to love ourselves? What would you tell people who don’t love themselves? Why is it important to love ourselves? Why is it important to love others as much as you love yourself?
7. Loving God, Loving ourselves and Loving others is the basis of all the Law of Moses and the books of the prophets. Comment!
8. What is God telling me through the passage? What am I going to do in response to God’s word today?
Decide to do one thing to show that you love God with all your heart, soul and mind. Why did you choose to do this?
Decide to do one thing to show that you love others as much as you love yourself. Why did you choose to do this?