36 Practical Things in Life That Have Helped Me!
- By Wilson Matthews
- Published 10/7/2009
Wilson is the youth leader at International Punjabi Masihi Church in Vancouver, Canada. Everyone loves this radical preacher's passion for Christ and His Church. Wilson helped organize the South Asian Global Convention (SAGC 2004) under the leadership of Pastor Pritam Singh. He is as "hairy-as-a-yak," "spits-like-a-camel," and is a F.A.T. (Faithful, Available, and Teachable) Christian. Wilson, a Malayalee Christian holds a BA in Biblical Studies from Trinity Western University and his mission is to make Scripture relevant to today's generation. Famous quote: "Knock it off!"
1. Volunteer for jobs no one else wants.
2. Never be on time – be early.
3. Respect everyone—especially the “little people”.
4. Money isn’t everything. Never make quality of life decisions based on money. Money follows ministry.
5. Help others succeed and you will always succeed.
6. Don’t forget the people who got you here.
7. Never take credit—pass praise on.
8. Be a life-long learner. “What did I learn today?”
9. Select and enlist mentors.
10. Be generous – sow into other's life.
11. Determine your finish lines:
A. What is “enough”?
B. Inheritance vs. legacy
12. Forgive quickly.
13. Accept responsibility when things go wrong—don’t pass on the blame. Fess up when you mess up.
14. Discover your gift and operate in it.
15. Gifts change at different times in your life.
16. Don’t imitate—be an original. Be yourself.
17. Love life—enjoy living—laugh out loud.
18. No one “owes” you anything—assume responsibility.
19. Life is not easy—roll with it. Regardless of what you observe on the outside in other people’s life—it is tough.
20. Stay away from negative people.
21. Look at everyone you meet as God’s appointment—you never know.
22. Never do anything well—do it with excellence.
23. Never keep your promises—over deliver (beat deadlines, come under budget, do it with fewer people).
24. Develop a team in everything you do.
25. Hang with passionate people.
26. You’re not always right—the most important thing you will change is your mind.
27. Work hard – don’t be lazy.
28. Conquer procrastination. Practice OHIO. (Only Handle It Once)
29. If you are collaborating with businesspersons to finance your ministry—they prefer early morning.
30. Donors don’t give when you are down—they give (invest) in success.
31. Go to meetings and meet new people. Follow up with notes ASAP.
32. Learn to write notes.
33. Take risks—anyone can do the safe thing.
34. Think long term.
35. Build relationships before transactions.
36. Let someone in ahead of you while in traffic or line—you’ll feel better and live longer.