Observations About the Indian Church
- By Sujo John
- Published 04/8/2010
Sujo John was launched into an international evangelistic ministry following the tragic attacks of September 11, 2001. Six months previous to the terrorist attacks on the two world trade towers in New York City, Sujo and his wife Mary had moved from India seeking adventure and prosperity in the United States. Sujo worked on the 81st floor of Tower 1, and his wife Mary worked in Tower 2. By the grace of God, they both survived to tell of their accounts of those horrific events.
Media from all over the world has taken interest in their story and Sujo has appeared on BBC, The 700 Club, Billy Graham Special, TBN, Associated Press, CBC, The New York Times, The Times- London, The National Post and countless other publications around the world. As a result, speaking interests have also poured in from all over the world.
In those early days following the terrorist attacks, God began unleashing a burden on Sujo's heart to share Christ with people around the world. A passion for changing lives was ignited taking Sujo John Ministries to over 400 major cities on most of the continents of the world and resulting in the salvation of hundreds of thousands of people. Sujo has a Bachelor in Commerce and an MBA in Business. He and his wife Mary and their children Jeremy and Sophia reside in Lantana, Texas. They attend Vallley Creek Church, Flower Mound, Texas.
We just concluded a 5 week ministry trip to India. Thank you to the many of you that were praying. We had a wonderful crusade in Delhi and ministry in Mumbai and Kerala.
The highlight was the Emerging Leaders of India Conference in Mumbai where 800+ leaders under the age of 35 attended. It was phenomenal hearing some transformation stories and meeting some great leaders in the making. The patron of this Conference was Dr. A Pinto, Founder of Ryan Group of Schools. This is an man with an incredible vision for India’s transformation. It was a humbling experience to speak to the emerging leaders of India who are working in the trenches for the Lord, many of them paying a tremendous price for their faith.
You have to be in India to see that what is doing in this nation. India has emerged as the nation with the 6th largest population of Christians in the world.
The church in India is experiencing explosive growth.
Here is a few observations -
* There is no stopping of the Indian church. Explosive growth.
* Un-reached people groups now being reached like never before.
* Indian church is emerging as a voice to the nations. Indian young men and women are being sent into the nations.
* Fast growing churches in India are those that have shed legalism.
* Indian churches have embraced passionate worship. Artists finally being recognized in churches.
* Greater unity can now be seen among churches.
* Strong para-church ministries have emerged, often bridging the church and the outside world.
* Indian churches from always being a receiving church is becoming a giving church.
* Christians becoming a force in business, arts,education and politics.
* The Indian church is still the suffering church with increased persecution.
* Bright young men and women answering God’s call and entering into ministry. Choice of ministry as a vocation not looked down upon like in the past.
* India going through a period of conversion. Discipleship efforts are lacking.
* Huge shortage of trained ministry personnel. Need for more Bible colleges and Leadership Development Institutes.
* Foreign missions organizations need to re-think and re-organize their interests in India. Strong Indian church that has emerged needs to be gives its freedom.
Continue to pray for this nation on the move!
God bless you!