2007 In Review
- By Benita Joy
- Published 01/2/2008
Benita Joy is a Malayalee Christian and serves as the Chief Editor for South Asian Connection. She is a woman of faith, gifted in the area of leadership and administration, and has a heart for world missions. Her desire is to live a life that is pure and to serve God's purposes in her generation. Benita is pursuing a double major in English and Psychology at the University of British Columbia. She loves big cities, chai, the internet, roller coasters, international cuisines, music, and hanging out with friends. She is the youngest member of Team SAC, plays guitar with a baby pink pick (Yikes!), and she's not much taller than your average dwarf (don't tell her that).
1. Joined Facebook.
2. Stressed out about classes and my last term at UBC.
3. Generation Unleashed. Regained perspective.
1. God's Not Dead - Generation Unleashed
2. Dhoom Again - from Dhoom II
"Yeah so it's a new year. No, I didn't make any resolutions. Frankly, I'm really not looking forward to this year. It's going to fly by because it's so crammed with stuff happening... It's not that things won't work out or anything; it's just that the mountain of stuff in my planner is way overwhelming and I don't really know how to deal with it. So I'm a pessimist. What else is new?"
"God totally infused my spirit with His peace and a sense of calm amidst the windstorm that is my life. Come what may, I’m ready."
1. Mental, physical, and emotional struggle of unreached proportions.
2. Contemplating the nature of faith.
3. Re-structuring at Kerala Christian Fellowship. New format for youth ministry.
1. All Things - Generation Unleashed
2. Name Above - Generation Unleashed
3. Cry in My Heart - Starfield
"I feel like a rubberband that's being stretched... and any one of these days, it's gonna snap."
1. Deeper Walk
2. Sleepless nights, surviving school and finding humor in difficult situations.
3. Black nail polish.
1. You Know Better Than I - from Joseph King of Dreams
2. None But Jesus - Hillsong United
3. Beautiful Lord - Leeland
"It's going into stress mode for me with two presentations and six papers plus Deeper Walk happening all in the next three weeks. I'm functioning on Pepsi. So if I'm tired and out of it and seemingly uninterested in what you're talking about, forgive me. If my conversation is reduced to grunts and sighs, please understand. And if I'm hyper and laughing hysterically over things that aren't even funny (this only happens when I'm around Sim), you'll know why. The emotional roller coaster is probably going to be running haywire, so please heed the warning and try your best to steer clear of yours truly lest I fall from grace and commit hideous crimes with my words."
1. Turned 23. Capone's. Jazz. Sound of Music. Probably the best birthday I've had in years thanks to Sim, Mia, and Priya.
2. Well Tea and sexy Indian accents.
3. Western Pentecostal Conference Promo Trip.
4. Final exams were brutal.
1. Hosanna - Hillsong United
2. Lead Me to the Cross - Hillsong United
"visions and dreams and the things we strive for are precious for the sole reason that God has infused us with His passion and drive to pursue them. we may never get to see them fulfilled, but remember that Moses never saw the promised land. it's not the goal but our faithfulness through the journey that really counts."
1. Graduation from UBC.
2. Hillsong United concert.
3. Punjabi Convention.
4. Discovered Steveston.
1. Yesu Mera Dam*
2. Tu Sundar Hai*
3. Send Me - Planetshakers
4. Yeh Honsla - from Dor
*Punjabi song, don't know the exact title.
"I believe that as I continue to seek Him, then, in His time and in His way, He will lead me as He has always done."
1. Western Pentecostal Conference prep.
3. Making music with Sim and Mia.
1. Take My Life - Frances R. Havergal
2. From the Inside Out - Hillsong United
3. Saviour King - Hillsong United
"The Lord is good."
1. Western Pentecostal Conference.
2. Integrated really comes together and improves as a band.
3. The beginning of the end of my life in Vancouver. I would be back in August but for less than a week and that only to pack my things.
4. On the road. Atlanta. Chicago. Europe to follow.
1. King of All - Generation Unleashed
2. Saved My Soul - Generation Unleashed
1. Europe and SAGC 2007.
2. PNE and my final days in Vancouver.
3. Goodbyes. Heartbreaking.
1. Mighty to Save - Hillsong
2. Hosanna - Hillsong United
"Spiritually, I've been desiring more of Jesus than every before. I think it's God preparing me and drawing me closer to Him considering I might not have close friends around me always for the next little bit. And I suspect there will be times I have to simply trust and put one foot in front of the other by faith. This isn't just a step out of my comfort zone--it's a giant leap. Jesus will have to be my everything, literally."
1. New house and SUV.
2. Emotionally dark times.
1. Hey There Delilah - Plain White Tees
2. When Your Gone - Avril Lavigne
3. Be Thou My Vision
"Whether I make history or people remember me is not what matters. I'd rather know that I did my best to touch someone's life and perhaps lead them to Christ...I want to be an example of what God can do with a life that is totally and completely surrendered to Him."
1. Adjusting...slowly and painfully.
2. Unpacking boxes and setting up house.
3. Furniture shopping.
4. Got recruited to the PCNAK youth leadership team.
5. Emotionally numb.
1. If You Want Me To - Ginny Owens
2. Sere Nere - Tiziano Ferro
3. Oceans Will Part - Hillsong
4. God Blessed the Broken Road - Rascal Flatts
5. Stand - Rascal Flatts
"I'm still me... just a little lost I guess."
"Life's a little weird right now. I had the most amazing summer and it's like the crash after an insane high. Painful and overwhelming and utterly depressing."
1. Thanksgiving with family.
2. Unending emotional struggle.
1. Remember When It Rained - Josh Groban
2. Imagine Me - Kirk Franklin
3. Take All Of Me - Hillsong United
"It feels as though I’m stumbling along in the dark and waiting for God to turn on the lights. Dealing is tough, but it’s a work in progress, a lesson in trust, a testing of my faith. If I fall apart now, how will I ever survive when I’m actually out on the mission field and absolute dependence on God is crucial? It’s time to grab a hold of the promises of God in faith and hang on tight for sanity’s sake. And if I haven’t wholeheartedly stated it yet, let me end by stating it now, 'The Lord gives, and the Lord takes away; blessed be the name of the Lord!'"
1. Christmas with family.
2. Rediscovering how much I love cooking and baking.
3. Reflecting on the the year, Christmases past, life, the future... Hope arises out of brokenness and the faithfulness of God prevails.
4. Plans for 2007 take shape.
3. Ammachi comes to Atlanta to stay.
1. Clinging to the Cross - Tim Hughes
2. Lord of Lords - Hillsong
3. In Your Freedom - Hillsong
4. To Know Your Name - Hillsong
"Whenever God opens the door, it'll be Al and Ben on the road again. And O what a beautiful day that will be!"
It's been a year of growth and stretching and new experiences and difficult times, but through everything, my Jesus is faithful. The hardest thing this year was closing out the Vancouver chapter of my life. The most beautiful and precious moments of this year have been on my knees before the Lord. The most relaxing and enjoyable moments of this year have been spending time with dear friends...Scotland with Pritam and Balbir, hanging out at Steveston with Mia, and anywhere and everywhere with Simi. And right now, that's what I miss the most.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6