- By Samuel Thambusamy
- Published 04/24/2008
Samuel Thambusamy’s interests are in Popular Culture, Theology and Politics. He has a Master of Theology (M.Th) degree from the Senate of Serampore University. He has served in a wide range of ministries such as children, youth, church and development ministries. He is now involved with Wisdomtree and reaches out to young people through cultural apologetics. He lives with his wife Lanusenla and daughter Vandana Yujasola in Chennai, India
A discussion based on the Tamil movie song New York Nagaram (Sillunu Oru KAdhal)
Questions for Reflection
1. What is this song about?
2. How do you describe lonliness? Why is facing lonliness such a challenge? Why do you think this song describes lonliness as “torture”?
Watch the Youtube Video
( The video is used only to further discussion)
3. How does it feel to be away from family (and friends) and be caged in glass walls? What are your experiences of fighting lonliness? Which do you think is less of a challenge: Having very little time or having too much time to spend? Why?
4. Any dislocation brings about an emotional crisis. How do people who travel to other cities (for study or work) handle this emotional crisis? Is falling in love a natural thing to do then? Is this feeling true love or time pass (just something to help deal with the emotional vacuum)?
5. Is the perceived feelings of affection a help or an hindrance? Why? Is Love a pain-killer or a solution?
6. What did you (dis) like about the song? Are there any take-away lessons for life?